FOLLOW Youtube Channel HERE!!

Monday, 4 November 2013

15 Year Ago

It was 15 years ago today that I became a mom for the first time.  It's still all so vivid in my mind, just like it was yesterday.

I was 26 years old.

A few days earlier I had gone to get an ultrasound to check up on things, since I had not had one at 20 weeks, like is customary.  My doctor wanted to make sure everything was o.k.  Two days later, after a day of pampering myself with pedicure, shopping and lunch out with a friend, I received a call from my doctor asking me to go hospital the following day (November 3) for another ultrasound.  She was not worried, but she wanted to check something.  So I did.  I was still 3 weeks from my due date, so I thought nothing of it.

I took a taxi to the hospital.  Hubby had taken the car to work in Toronto, because he was picking up my mom from the airport that evening.  She was arriving from Portugal.  I arrived  at the hospital by taxi at about noon, and I was brought right into the ultrasound room.  The technician was there, and started the ultrasound. And then she left the room to get the doctor.  Those techs have such poker faces, you can never read anything on their face.  The doctor checked the ultrasound and turned to me and said "how would you like to have the baby today?"  huh, what? She then started to tell me, she was slightly concerned about the levels of amnionic fluid and that the placenta looked "aged". I was 36 weeks along  at this point.  My mind froze.  I hadn't bought newborn diapers yet.  I hadn't packed the baby bag.  What if hubby had a meeting at work? I said "I have to call my husband to see if he is available".  So I called him, and said "doctor wants the baby out, is that o.k.?"  It seems kind of comical now, that I was asking permission to have the baby that day, but I was totally serious.

The doctor started the induction process, it was about 4 o'clock at this point.  Within minutes, I started to feel contractions, very lightly.  The doctor checked me again and said, "o.k. everything is started, and now we'll just wait.  Why don't you go home, rest and labour there." Panic started within me.  I honestly thought it would only take a little while after that , and I would have my baby within a few hours.  Little did I know.

So here I am now at the hospital by myself, labour has been started, and I had taken a taxi to the hospital and had no way of getting home.  Great.  I didn't want to be in a taxi with a stranger and possibly have my baby.  I called my younger brother at work, same place that I had worked at two weeks earlier.  I asked him if he could pick me up from the hospital after work.

He picked me up some time after five.  First words out of his mouth were "do not have this baby in my car! I just had it cleaned."  I still laugh about that to this day.  I made him stop at the grocery store to pick up my favourite Roma pizza and a pack of newborn diapers.  The contractions seemed to be coming on stronger and stronger.  In hindsight, those contractions were nothing compared to what was to come.

We went home and ate I happily ate my pizza ( I may or may not have eaten the entire thing) because right after I delivered the baby I was going  to start my diet.  Hubby got home with my mom a few hours later.  By this point, I had put together a hospital bag for me, hubby and baby.

I had contractions throughout the night, and somehow slept.  The following morning, I woke up to stronger contractions than the night before and I paged my doctor.  She told me to come into the hospital after 10 a.m. to be checked again.  I'm pretty sure we arrived at 10:01 a.m.!  I was checked and she told me I had progressed nicely overnight.  No kidding sherlock, the contractions, were now taking my breath away.  By 10:30 a.m. they broke my waters and then left me alone.  Hubby and I paced the hospital corridors for a while, until the Jacuzzi tub was available.  Once tub became available I was in there.  I had decided that I didn't want any drugs or epidurals.  I wanted it to be all natural.  I reminded my husband again, that no matter what I said, no drugs.

After a while, hubby got hungry and decided to go grab some food.  He went to get a submarine sandwich from a place across the street from the hospital.  Apparently they put extra onions in his sandwich, because as soon as he stepped into the steamy bathroom, that was all I could smell.  ONIONS!! I yelled told him to go brush his teeth! He turned to the nurse, and she confirmed, that "yes, he needed to brush his teeth." He came back, and jumped right in to help me with my contractions.  He came close to me and as he told me  "to breathe".  I nearly clocked him!  I'm pretty sure I muttered through the contraction "THERE ARE MINTS IN THE BAG! GET THEM! NOW!" Let's just say for the other two births of our children he never ate a sandwich with onions again!

After a while, my contractions were out of control and I wanted out of tub!  I was brought to a labour room and was supplied with ice popsicles to keep my mouth wet.  After one popsicle, I started to feel really sick to my stomach. I started to vomit uncontrollably. The contractions were one on top of the other and I was vomiting at the same time.  I started to get delirious.  I started begging for the epidural.  My husband calmly reminded me that "I didn't want drugs and I could this on my own.  I was strong and blah blah blah".  Apparently the story goes that I turned into a crazy woman and told him "to forget anything I ever said and get ME SOME DRUGS NOW!!"  Luckily enough the epidural person was available to shut me up get to me right away.  It had been about 24 hours by this point since my labour had been induced and contractions had started.

As soon as epidural kicked in, it was bliss.  I became the delightful girl my hubby had chosen to marry and not the raving lunatic I had turned into earlier.  Hubby went home, after the doctor telling him it would probably be a few more hours.  I took a nap.  I think I slept a couple of hours.

I woke up again, when I felt things started to change again, and mentioned it to the nurse.  By this point, hubby was back, and I was told it was time to start pushing.  I pushed for about 2 hours.  I started getting annoyed with myself, cause I couldn't get the job done already! I was dang tired, and the epidural had worn off.  Just when I thought my body could do no more, it happened...

I delivered our baby.

It was 8:05 p.m., on November the 4th that we met the most beautiful baby that I had even seen.

She was perfect. 7 lbs 6 oz, 10 fingers, 10 toes. Lots and lots of hair.


That was then...

This is now!

Happy Birthday baby girl!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...