Every year, the kids like to give Christmas gifts to their teachers, bus drivers, hockey coaches, friends, neighbours, etc. With 3 kids, the dollars can really add up fast. So we try to make our own unique gifts to give out.
So this year Haley and I made a trip to Dollar store and found some white ceramic mugs. And we knew exactly what to do with them.
Sharpie Marker Mugs
These were really easy to make, and my 13 year old had fun making them, with specific people in mind to give them to. We will probably add Tim Horton's gift card, cookies, tea bags, or something else to some of them.
|Vovo - is what she calls her Portuguese grandparents.|
This particular one took her quite awhile to do. Look at the detail! It's going to go to a special lady in her life that she really cares about!
So here is what we did:
- wash the mugs thoroughly, to remove stickers, residue.
- taped off certain areas that we did not want to write on.
- decorate, be careful not to smudge your design. if you need to start over, rubbing alcohol cleans it up nicely
- let the mug dry for 24 hours, so that the ink "sets".
- place mug in oven, turn on oven to 350, set timer for 30 minutes. (must place in cold oven, so that it heats up with the oven.)
- turn off oven after 30 minutes and let cool INSIDE of oven. (do not remove from oven until it is cooled, it may crack)
- Once completely cooled inside of oven, you can wash them to make sure the ink has "baked" into mug. I have heard mixed reviews about washing them. Some people say, hand wash only, others say dishwasher is safe. Only time will tell I guess.
As you can see, they are very unique gifts and a great craft for teenager. But I bet, my seven year old would probably have a blast decorating a mug for his coach too. ;)
Will you be giving out Handmade gifts this year? Who are the people you give them to?
Sharing at: Get your DIY on, Craft'o Maniac, Monday Funday, That DIY party, Sunday Showcase, Sunday Best, Cozy Little House, Dream to Reality, Fluster Creative Muster, Lovely Ladies, Work It Wednesday, Thrifty Decor Chick, Show and Tell, DIY Party - Holiday Time, Turn it UP TUESDAY, Frugal Friday, Link Partypalooza